Sunday, June 19, 2011

Follow the Music.


When creating choreography, I have to love the song.  If the music doesn’t move me, I just can’t and won’t do it, no matter how popular it might be.  But even the songs I love sometimes won’t allow me to “crack” them.  Generally I feel anxious about new choreography---it’s a “I’ll-never-be-able-to-do-another-one-again” feeling.  So sometimes I’ll try to just stick something into an 8 count in the music—some small part of a combination I’ve seen on “So You Think You Can Dance.”  It never works and, although I might kid myself that it’ll do---I generally end up hating it (and myself) and throwing it out.  (Don’t let my WASPish exterior fool you---I can get all angsty.)    

If I can relax and listen to the music, it will lead me to what movement feels right.  If I can get out of my own way, the music will allow me to unravel its code.

In life, when I am lost and confused, I will often try to “do” my way to solving a problem.  But that never works.  If I can relax and trust that, like the music, life will lead me, it will allow me to get out of my own way and unravel the way to go.

Life is music.  Let it lead you.

No comments:

Post a Comment