Sunday, April 7, 2013

Halo



I have been teaching a new choreography to the song, Halo, by Beyonce.  In the dance, there is a place where you are facing right, your left foot crosses over, and you turn or unwind.  There is a long four-count in which to achieve this – and it’s easy.  

Because there is so much time, it’s fun to try and turn more than once.  In order to do that, you have to spot – find a spot to look at for as long as you are facing that way and then whip your head around to find that spot again.  Your body will follow your gaze.  You also need a strong core.  Both of these will create a more controlled turn that keeps you from getting dizzy.  

I was wanting to turn more than once, but since the simple turn is an “unwind,” my right foot was ending up off the floor and in front of my left, which made it difficult to continue turning.  At first, I just tried to bully my way through that, but, of course, that didn’t work.  It only made me unsteady and out-of-control.  Then I realized I merely had to pick up my right foot to keep turning.  That worked.

In addition to actually looking where I wanted to end up, I had to get out of my own way.

I find that this is a good idea for me in my life.

I need to be clear about where I want to land, but also get out of my own way and stop tripping over myself.  

I can’t bully myself to do something that feels wrong.  I can try, but I’ll end up being out-of-control and dizzy.

This means I must cultivate a strong core of trust.

With a strong core, I can go where my vision takes me.  

I can relax, do my dance, and trust life to unwind in the way it’s meant to.

I know that’s easier said than done.  

So I remind myself daily (sometimes hourly) that it’s safe to trust and to just get out of the way.





2 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Susie! And a perfect reminder for me today, since I've been feeling a little dizzy recently. :-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. how your messages so often give me exactly what I need, when I need it, is a wonder (and wonderful). Thanks, Dian

    ReplyDelete