Sunday, February 24, 2013

Which Melody, Which Voice?



When choreographing a song, choices have to be made.  Am I going to pay attention to the accents of the percussion, or am I going to ignore them?  Am I going to do something different with the bridge or am I going to just continue with the same choreography?  Shall I use the saxophone in the harmonies or ignore it and use the melodies that are more in the forefront?  Should I use the words to inform my movement, or should I focus on the basic melody?


These questions make me think of all the voices I have going on in my head – especially the one that cries, “What-do-you-think-you’re-doing-you’re-not-good-enough-just-hide!”  I recognize this voice, it is my old friend.  This was the voice that made me keep my head down and escape difficult childhood situations.  It really protected me.


However, listening to that voice now is no longer a safe choice.  It is unhealthy in my life as an adult to swallow my emotions just to make others feel okay. 


I know the more I try to push this voice away from me, the louder it becomes.


So I hear this voice and I choose to not believe it.  I try to love it and say, “Thank you for protecting me when I was little.  Now you can relax.  I am going to take care of you now.” 


So I embrace that voice.  It worked hard and now deserves a joyful retirement.


My life is determined by which voice I listen to.  


The voice I listen to now is the one that nurtures me.


It says, “You are safe.  You are loved.  You are on earth to be joyful and loving and to share your gifts.”


And that goes for everyone.


When I get confused by different voices in my head, I ask myself, “What would love do?”


Which voice do you listen to?  Which melody will you make real?


What would love do?




2 comments: